Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Our Spiral Path



There's just something about spirals...beautiful, geometric, artistic, mathematical, magical, mesmerizing....

This past year, we studied "phi", the Golden ratio, phyllotaxis, and spirals. Now, we see spirals everywhere...flowers, leaf patterns, shells....


We built a labyrinth at our old house (great homeschooling project!), but we don't quite have enough space at our new house for a labyrinth.
Labyrinth at our old house
So, instead, we have built a spiral! Daddy and the kids carved out a path in the vines, spiraling towards the fountain near Rabbie and Navy's cage. We collected rocks from the river and the yard to line the spiral. Mommy planted some wildflower seeds in the dirt areas and they are starting to sprout!


The spiral may be seen from the deck and from Joey's room. It's a meditative reminder to us whenever we see it.


Where do you see spirals?

13 comments:

Tammy said...

Oh, very pretty spiral path! I remember seeing the labrinth a while back when you posted it.

Since we worked with geometry last year, we've noticed lots of spirals in nature.

Lisa said...

That is beautiful! I was just admiring the spirals in a sunflower the other day.

Lisa :)

Acorn to Oak said...

I love your spiral garden and fountain...beautiful! There's something about a smooth graceful curve...they feel good! :-)

Lisa said...

I love your spiral!! What a great idea! I am looking forward to studying geometry this year.
Have a great weekend!
Lisa

Marina said...

How lovely! My mother in law has a wonderful labryinth around an oak tree in her yard... sadly we don't have space for one either, but your spiral inspires me to make room somewhere :)... thank you!

renee ~ heirloom seasons said...

Very lovely. And aren't those sunflower spirals amazing!

Kristie Karima Burns, MH, ND said...

Oh this is so beautiful! It brings back memories of when we lived in the desert and only had rocks to build a spiral with. Now we have so much grass in the backyard I have not found a good way to make a spiral here. But this is inspiring to me...gives me some ideas of "workarounds". I love the fountain in the middle and the way you tied it into the lesson.

Jen said...

How beautiful this is! And I love that you can see it from your windows. River rocks are so spiritual, as well and I love that your animals get to enjoy it, too :) Very inspiring!

Angela said...

what a great topic to explore!!

Kelly said...

How beautiful. An inspirational post as always! I love that you can see the spiral path from your window.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful spirals!
Flowers seem to be showcasing spirals to me lately, and shells are certainly beautiful with their spirals
My daughter has always incorporated spirals into her drawings since she was very young, certainly a special symbol!

Michelle said...

What a beautiful spiral path you've made! Lately we notice them in flowers and seashells, as well as tree trunks left behind by a lightening storm.

I always notice them in my boys hair when it's just been cut very short, too :-)

Lynn said...

oh, how beautiful & inspiring!