Sunday, November 29, 2009

Just for Me



It seems like I am forever crafting for others...the kids, the home, customers, friends. It's been so long since I've made something just for myself....


Back in 2006, I was fortunate to be able to attend SOAR (Spin-Off Autumn Retreat) in Lake Tahoe. I purchased some lovely Polwarth/silk fiber from a booth that said that they raised the sheep themselves up in Canada. I spun up the yarn on my spinning wheel, and then the yarn sat in a knitting bag...and sat...and sat....


I always knew that I wanted to make something special with the yarn, but who knew that it would take another two years before I did anything with it? The yarn was soft, warm and beautiful, but not enough for a scarf or larger project. Finally, I decided to Tunisian crochet a rectangle with a slightly ruffled edge, using a knit stitch. Then, the project sat...and sat...and sat....


Finally, this past week, I pulled the rectangular piece out of my "UFO" (unfinished objects) box and decided that it was time to make something just for me! Not to sell or give as a gift...just something special that I could enjoy and use. I debated on what type of button to add, and finally decided to put every button that I liked on it!


I wore it for the first time today while going on a walk with the family. Guess what? The neckwarmer was warm, and soft, and best of all -- it made me smile. I think that I need to remember to stop and make myself something now and then. Hopefully next time it won't take 3 years to finish! --Jennifer

13 comments:

Joy said...

Good for you! It's lovely! :)

Mama Rose said...

It looks beautiful Jennifer! Isn't it so nice to sometimes give ourselves a treat :D

Tan Family said...

Thanks Rose and Joy! :)

Rose, you are so right. We need to take good care ourselves, too, especially when we are busy homeschooling, working moms!

Grandma said...

I love your neckwarmer. It is so pretty just like you Jennifer!

Jenn said...

You are so beautiful! And your neck warmer is really beautiful too. We have done that many times before...the kids will have a shirt they love and we'll rip all the buttons off and put new buttons (each one a different kind) on it. It's fun and funky and the kids love to do that!

And good for you for making yourself something...I still haven't! But I plan to when Christmas finally winds down. :0)

Tammy said...

YAY for mamas making something for themselves! ;) It is indeed beautiful.

Mona said...

I think it's a good decision you've made. Sure we need to make something for ourselves now and then, even if it's just little things. And it's beautiful too!

Linda said...

Wow, your neckwarmer is so beautiful!

LillyZoo said...

Beeeeeautiful Jennifer!!!! (the scarf and you radiate!)

dongdong said...

It's beautiful and looks very nice and warm and cozy. :) Good for you for making something for yourself. I have the same problem.

Jen said...

Ooooohhhh...I LOVE it! It was obviously worth the wait - just beautiful!

Southern Lady's Vintage said...

It is just BEAUTIFUL!! Looks so warm, soft and cozy!! Yes, I agree! Sometimes you really should make something just for YOU!!

Beth said...

You and your neck warmer look beautiful! Beth