Friday, March 27, 2009

The Making of Syrendell Sprites




As the maker of the syrendell sprites, I have mixed feelings about posting this blog. We would want you to continue believing that the sprites simply exist in a magical place, appearing to us spontaneously whenever they want to spread happiness all over the world. So, by showing you how they emerge from a piece of poplar, I am risking the magic from waning.

Yet, for me, I believe that part of their magic is in how they emerge from a piece of poplar! The steps are simple: cut, drill, carve, sand. I marvel at how carving and sanding a piece of lumber really transforms the wood. And there is an emotional response for me as I gradually remove the hard, rough edges and bring out the smooth, gentle curves of the sprites. My mind actually shifts in thinking of the piece as being wood to a wondrous creature of earth. Perhaps the sprites were living in the wood all this time and all I did was release them!

I am happy to live in the land of Syrendell. And I am thankful for our friends as far away as the Netherlands who have opened their homes to our sprites. Please continue sharing your wonderful family stories with us, and continue to believe the magic of the syrendell sprites!

Rick Tan





7 comments:

Lisa said...

Amazing! You make is sound awfully simple, but I know there is a lot of natural talent coming through those works of art.

Joy said...

Those are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your process. I agree that part of the magic is watching them emerge from the poplar. My daughter is already begging for the pink Fairydell so she might have to become part of the Easter basket or the summer table.

boatbaby said...

Creating IS magic. And people like me are so thankful for magicians like you.
Our sprite is quite happy with a view of the water living with us on our boat!

dongdong said...

They are beautiful. wow!

The Scolari House said...

They are beautiful. I really enjoy your blog.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, spirits are in all things, in my culture all is alive, even the rocks!!!, (we call spirits 'nechem' in mapudungum)

Jen said...

I'm heading over to the shop right now! Fantastic, Rick - thank you for sharing your art with us :)