Saturday, March 21, 2009

Poetry Night!



Welcome to our first Syrendell Cafe Poetry Night!


We ate homemade beignets, drank hot chocolate, chai tea, coffee and cucumber water, read our own poems on the microphone, and listened to music. It was a fun way to incorporate poetry writing, speaking and event planning. We are planning on hosting another poetry night and inviting our cousins, aunts and uncles to join us!

Menu


Poems
Joey: "Butterfly" acrostic verse poem
Ricky: "Opposite Sides of the World" diamante poem
Wilson: "Little Bulbs" song to Frere Jacques
Mommy: "Blissful Path" free verse poem (see original poem above)
Daddy: "Monsters Have Mommies, Too" abaab
Lolo and Lola (grandparents): A poem in Tagalog


Jobs
Announcer: Joey
Cook: Ricky
Server: Wilson
Set Decoration and Menu: Joey
Video Clips from Poetry Night

13 comments:

Acorn to Oak said...

Wow! That sounds like a lot of fun! What a great idea! :-)

dongdong said...

How nice. I really love the music you have going. Is that from your playlist or from your video? Anyway, what a wonderful night of poetry. I bet they'll cherish those memories!

Tan Family said...

Hi dongdong...the music is from our playlist. We are still learning how to make our own music into mp3 files. So, soon we will have our own harp and piano music on our site! Thanks for reading our blog.

Sarah said...

Hi! This post brought back great memories of when I was home educated ~ a beautiful idea to incorporate into our schedule, thank you for sharing! I'm glad to read you will soon have your own music on the site, I look forward to listening.

Grandma said...

Poetry night sounded wonderful!

Lisa said...

What a beautiful family you have! I loved hearing the poems from all 3 generations. It was really lovely. I see your on Twitter now, I just really started using it too. I signed up to follow you, see you over there! :)

Tammy said...

What a treat to see this! Thanks so much for sharing it with all of us. :)

Such a good idea...

Anonymous said...

This is such a good idea!...I love reading your blog, you guys have a lot of fun and give great ideas :-)

Leilani said...

Jennifer your Poetry night sounds like so much fun! I was pleasantly surprised to see a poem by Lolo & Lola in Tagalog! I had no idea there was Filipino in your family.

Leilani...who has Filipino roots. :)

Tan Family said...

Hi Leilani! Yes, my husband is 3/4 Philippino and 1/4 Chinese. I am English, Armenian and Croatian. So, our children are quite a mix! We live with Lolo and Lola (who speak Tagalog all the time), so we are starting to pick up the language a bit.

Linda said...

What a wonderful idea! I'm on Twitter too, see you there....

Jane said...

What a great way to learn and share poetry. It really sounds like alot of fun! I am looking forward to hearing your music!

The Scolari House said...

What a fun family you are! Thanks for sharing!